How Preventive Health Care Benefits You and Your Family
What is Preventive health care? Preventive health care consists of measures taken to help detect or prevent serious diseases and medical problems. Diseases are dynamic processes that begin long before you realize you are affected. They are determined by genetic predisposition, environmental factors, lifestyle choices, and disease agents. Therefore, preventive health care relies on proactive actions in the different levels of prevention. These levels of prevention are:
- Primal and primordial prevention
Primal prevention consists of promoting health during fetal and newborn life to determine adult health. For instance, future parents are provided with advice and support. In addition, primordial prevention measures are designed to prevent risk factors from developing early in life.
- Primary prevention
These are methods that help to avoid the occurrence of disease either through eliminating disease agents or increasing resistance to disease. Such methods include vaccination and immunization, maintaining a healthy diet and lifestyle.
- Secondary prevention
It consists of methods to detect and address existing diseases before their symptoms appear. The root cause of the disease is addressed.
- Tertiary prevention
These are methods to reduce the damaging effects of symptomatic diseases such as disability or death through rehabilitation and treatment. In addition, measures are taken to prevent total disability from the disease.
Examples of Preventive Health Care
- Immunization and vaccines
- Diabetes and blood pressure screening
- Cholesterol tests
- Wellness visits
- Counseling on issues such as smoking and alcohol use
- Depression screening
- Breast cancer screening
- Obesity screening and counseling on losing weight and healthy eating
- HIV test
- Genetic testing
- Osteoporosis screening
- Cancer screenings such as breast, Colorectal, and Cervical cancer screening
- Tests for sexually transmitted diseases
Importance of Preventive Health Care
The main goal of preventive health care is to help a person safeguard against several health problems and detect illnesses in their early development stages when treating them is simple and effective.
Although you may be feeling fine, you may have some health issues that have no symptoms in their early stages but are a health risk. For example, conditions such as high cholesterol levels and high blood sugar can only be detected through regular check-ups.
The preventive care providers at MI Health clinic will screen for diseases and check for future health risks and encourage a healthy lifestyle. For example, you will discuss and receive advice on safe alcohol use, quitting smoking, eating well, and regular exercise.
These annual visits also help you maintain a relationship with the health care provider for easier treatment in case of illnesses. In addition, since your care provider is aware of your health history, precise diagnosis and effective treatment are assured even in emergency cases.
Benefits of Preventive Health Care
- The quality of your life is improved, and your lifespan increases through proactive health measures that prevent diseases.
- Preventive health care helps you understand your body at particular times when you have spurts of sedentary life due to underlying conditions.
- Your productivity and efficiency are maintained.
- Several infections can be prevented through preventive measures such as vaccines.
- You are taught to recognize abnormal changes in your body that require an immediate visit to Preventive health care near you.
- If you receive an early diagnosis, you are assured of early treatment, therefore, avoiding complications that come with advancing diseases.
- You receive strategies that help you control problems that can lead to health risks and even death.
- If the disease is caught early, there is a better chance of recovery.
- Symptoms of illness are avoided or reduced by boosting your immunity through preventive health care.
- You save money that would have been used in high medical costs when diseases are detected early through regular screenings.
- The doctor’s recommendations you receive during the check-up help in reducing symptoms and improving your life.
Tips on Staying Healthy
In addition to visiting the preventive health care near you for routine check-ups, Dr. Russell Bush recommends taking several measures to help lower the risk for diseases and keep you healthy. Some of them are:
i. Eat healthy foods
ii. Avoid the use of tobacco or smoking
iii. Maintain a healthy weight
iv. Exercise regularly
v. Drink alcohol in moderation
vi. Practice safe sex
vii. Do not use illegal drugs